Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Early memories

One of my favorite early memories of Joshua was when he was about three and a half years old. I had to go into my office for some reason, so I took him in with me for a few minutes.

The place where I worked believed in the open floor plan. The only two people who had their own office were the Senior Vice President and the Vice President. Everyone else had cubicles with low walls. The most junior employees were grouped into four in their cubicles. Even though I'd been with the company for five years, I still sat in what we affectionately called the "quad."

As I was at my desk, Joshua leaned on his elbow against my co-worker's desk with his ankles crossed on the floor. It was such an adult pose. Considering that Joshua was always tall for his age and articulate, I didn't think much about it.

My co-worker asked him his name. He said. "Joshua." He paused a moment and added, "Josh." And paused another moment and finished with, "J.D."

It was rather funny since I'd never heard him refer to himself as "J.D." before. But even funnier was my co-worker's reaction. She told the story of Joshua introducing himself for weeks and even mimicked how he took a relaxed pose as he chatted with her like they were old friends.

1 comment:

  1. That is a sweet story. What a smart young man at that early age! I bet you wish you had that moment on tape. Very cute.

    Thank you for your kind comments and prayers on my blog today. I look forward to following your blog:)

    ReplyDelete